|Hamilton Creek||See Washington Creek.|
|Hamilton Hollow||valley in NW Swain County between Fox Gap and Twentymile Creek.|
|Hamilton Lakes||former town in central Guilford County est. by Alfred M. Scales. Inc. 1925; merged with city of Greensboro in 1945.|
|Hamilton Township||NW Martin County.|
|Hamilton Township||See Catawba Township.|
|Hamiltons Crossroads||community in E Union County W of Gourdvine Creek.|
|Hamiltons Old Field||former community in central Rutherford County 3 mi. N of present Rutherfordton. In 1862 residents claimed to have been the first to nominate Zebulon B. Vance for governor.|
|Hamlet||town in S Richmond County. Settled about 1875. Inc. 1897. Named by John Shortridge, local citizen, for the word then descriptive of its size. An important railroad center with maintenance shops, hump classification yard, and other facilities. Produces dairy products, apparel, and furniture. Alt. 349.|
|Hamlins Shoals||rapids in Roanoke River, NW Halifax County, extending from the mouth of Stonehouse Creek to Tucker Island. The name appears on the MacRae map, 1833. See also Tucker Island.|
|Hammer Branch||rises in N Swain County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and flows SE into Deep Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.