|Hammers Millpond||in W Robeson and SW Scotland Counties on Little Pee Dee River.|
|Hammock, The||E bank of the mouth of Queens Creek in SE Onslow County. Called Starkey's Hammock in the 1790s, when it was owned by Edward Starkey. Long site of summer meetings by black teachers.|
|Hammocks Beach||resort on Bear Island, Onslow County. A state park.|
|Hammond Mountain||S Henderson County between Mill Creek and Cabin Creek. Alt. 2,978.|
|Hammonds Creek||rises in central Bladen County and flows NE into Cape Fear River. Appears on the Moseley map, 1733.|
|Hampstead||community in SE Pender County. Alt. 56.|
|Hampton||former community in SW Granville County served by post office, 1879-1906. Was located near Durham-Granville county line and dated from the nineteenth century. The site now lies within the Butner area. Ceased to exist when Camp Butner was created. See also Butner.|
|Hampton Bay||See Pettivers Bay.|
|Hampton Branch||rises in NW Macon County and flows S into Partridge Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.