|Hancock Point||W Carteret County, extends into White Oak River.|
|Hancock Town||appears on Moseley map, 1733, as Handcocks Town in present Craven County. It was the Tuscarora Indian village of King Hancock, who participated in the 1710 attack on New Bern.|
|Hancock Village||part of Cherry Point housing area in SE Craven County. See also Cherry Point.|
|Handpole Branch||rises in central Avery County and flows N into Kentucky Creek.|
|Handy||community in SE Davidson County. Residents formerly received mail at Jackson Hill, 3 mi. w, and wanted a post office that would be "handy" for them. Post office est. 1889, discontinued 1931.|
|Handy Gap||N Wilkes County on Carters Mountain. Named for local family.|
|Hanes||or former community in S Forsyth County. Named for Hanes family, which est. a mill village there. Now within the corporate limits of Winston-Salem. Alt. 887.|
|Haney Creek||rises in S Yancey County and flows E into Elk Fork.|
|Hanging Bluff||See Hanging Rock State Park.|
|Hanging Dog||community in NW Cherokee County.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.