Description: A bronze plaque on a stone marker commemorates President George Washington's visit to the area, then known as Martinville, on June 2, 1791. The monument measures 3'1" in height and 3'1" in width.
IN / PARTIOTIC COMMEMORATION / OF THE VISIT / OF / GEORGE WASHINGTON / ON HIS / TOUR OF THE / SOUTHERN STATES / 1791 / MARKED BY NORTH CAROLINA / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / 1925
Dedication date: 11/11/1925
Materials & Techniques: Granite and Bronze.
Sponsor: North Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution
Subject notes: Washington was completing the last leg of an 83-day tour of the southern states when he stopped in North Carolina to visit with Alexander Martin, Governor of North Carolina, and to see the Guilford Courthouse battlefield.
There are several stone markers across North Carolina that commemorate the President George Washington's tours of the Southern States in 1791. Notable among them are George Washington Boulder outside Lexington, George Washington Tree Marker in Hampstead outside Wilmington, and a George Washington and Henry Clay Marker in Wilmington.
Location: This monument is located within Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.
Landscape: Next to Old Battleground Rd.
Subjects: Historic Military Figures,Historic Political Figures,Revolutionary War
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina