Rebecca of the Well Fountain
Description: The current fountain is a replica of the original which was installed in the center of town in 1888 and later removed to make way for streetcars (in 1905) and eventually scrapped for metal during World War II. The figure positioned on top of the fountain represents the biblical Rebecca at the well. At the top of the fountain a woman holds a container over her head; water falling from it flows into a large circular basin. A replica of the original fountain now stands at the entrance of the Gateway Park which opened on October 12, 1997.
Contemporary view |
Close-up view |
Dedication date: Original installed 1888
Sponsor: Julian and Blanche Robertson paid for the creation of Gateway park in which the replica now stands.
Post dedication use: The original fountain installed in 1888 was used for water for horses and fire protection.
Location: This fountain is located on the corner of Depot and East Innes streets in a small garden in Salisbury, NC.
Former Locations: The original fountain was first located at the intersection of Innes and Main Streets in Salisbury; it had to be moved because it was an inconvenience for cars. During World War II the fountain was sold for scrap metal but a replica was made later and installed in a small park in Salisbury.
Subjects: Historic Religious Figures,Historic Women Figures,Removed Monuments
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina