King's Mountain Monument [Removed]
Description: This monument, made up of three slabs of granite placed atop one another, the topmost of which is inscribed, was dedicated to the victory at Kings Mountain. It was removed in 1937 due to it commemorating a different battle.
1780 1903 / THE BATTLE OF / KING'S MOUNTAIN / FOUGHT OCTOBER 7 1780 / WAS THE TURN IN THE TIDE OF SUCCESS / THAT TERMINATED THE REVOLUTION / THERE IS NOTHING FINER IN THE / ROMANCE OF WAR.
Dedication date: 1903
Creator: National Marble Company of Cherokee N. C., Supplier
Materials & Techniques: Black Cherokee marble
Sponsor: National Marble Company of Cherokee County
Cost: $Appears to have been donated by the National Marble Company
Unveiling & Dedication: Unveiled at the same time as the No North - No South Monument. The Oration was given by Col. W. A. Henderson of Tennessee on the topic of "Heroes of King's Mountain." The Gulf State Historical Magazine called it an unremarkable speech.
Subject notes: Dedicated to the Battle of Kings Mountain fought in Western North Carolina.
Former Locations: This monument was dedicated when the GBGC intended to make the site a"Mecca of Patriotism;" it was deemed inappropriate by the National Park Service and removed in 1937.
Landscape: It was placed in a row of monuments, most of which have been removed or are relocated.
Subjects: Removed Monuments,Revolutionary War