Description: A bronze Confederate soldier stands atop a 25'10" pedestal with a 9'6" square granite base. The soldier looks into the distance and step forward with his left foot while resting his weight on his musket.
Nickname: The soldier was nicknamed "Hugo," after the hurricane that knocked it down in September 1989.
Front: 1861-1865 / Erected 1911 under the auspices of Randolph County Chapter U.D.C. / "Lest We Forget" / Our Confederate Heroes
Dedication date: 9/2/1911
Creator: The W.H. Mullins Company, Supplier
Blue Pearle Granite Co. , Supplier
Materials & Techniques: The base is made of Mt. Airy granite. The figure is bronze.
Sponsor: The monument was sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, headed by Elvira Worth Walker Moffitt, who was the daughter of Jonathan Worth, Randolph County's only Governor of North Carolina.
Post dedication use: The monument was toppled off of its pedestal by Hurricane Hugo in September of 1989. It was discovered that the internal structure (the internal armature reinforcing rods) had been damaged by rust. The monument was repaired by Adrien Van Der Staak and rededicated January 24, 1990.
Subject notes: In memorial to the Confederate veterans of Randolph County.
Location: Located in front of the Randolph County Courthouse facing south.
Subjects: Civil War