Charles Duncan McIver Statue
Description: The 7.5-foot bronze statue with a 3.5-foot granite pedestal is a monument to education pioneer Charles McIver, a founder and first president of the State Normal and Industrial School for Women (now known as UNC Greensboro). It depicts McIver standing in a dignified manner with a book in his left hand; his right hand rests on his waist. There are four plaques, one on each side of the pedestal.
A duplicate of this statue stands in Raleigh's Capitol Square.
Nickname: The monument at UNC Greensboro was nicknamed "Charlie". The stone pedestal upon which the statue originally stood was nicknamed "the Rawk" because it was built in order to prevent college students from defacing the statue.
Front: CHARLES DUNCAN / MCIVER / EDUCATIONAL STATESMAN / BORN 27TH SEPTEMBER 1860 / DIED 17th SEPTEMBER 1906
Right: PEOPLE - / NOT ROCKS AND RIVERS / AND IMAGINARY BOUNDARY / LINES - MAKE A STATE: /AND THE STATE IS GREAT JUST / IN PROPORTION AS ITS / PEOPLE ARE EDUCATED.
Left: FOUNDER AND FIRST PRESIDENT OF THE STATE NORMAL AND INDUSTRIAL COLLEGE FOR WOMEN.
Rear: ERECTED BY THE SCHOOL CHILDREN, THE TEACHERS, AND HIS OTHER FRIENDS AND ADMIRERS / A.D. 1911
Dedication date: October 5, 1912,
Creator: Frederick Wellington Ruckstull, Sculptor
Post dedication use: The monument is a gathering place to commemorate Institutional Founders Day at UNC-Greensboro.
Subject notes: Beginning in 1881, Charles Duncan McIver devoted a quarter of a century to educational reform in North Carolina. After his death on September 17, 1906, friends and fellow educational reformers organized to raise funds for a monument in McIver's honor. The committee chairman, James Joyner, started corresponding with Mrs. McIver and sculptor Frederic Wellington Ruckstuhl about a proposed monument in honor of McIver by August 1910. The North Carolina General Assembly approved the monument's construction and location in the Capital Square on March 7, 1911.
Former Locations: In 1960 the statue was moved from its location north of the McIver Building to its present location in front of Jackson Library.
Subjects: Historic Educational Figures