Bertie County Confederate Monument
Description: The monument depicts a confederate soldier at parade rest, with his gun resting on the ground. The statue rests on a column of smooth granite sitting atop a four tier base of rough cut granite. Two crossed cannon are shown in bas-relief on the column's cap beneath the statue.
Compared to many Confederate Common Soldier Monuments in North Carolina that reach heights of up to twenty-five or thirty feet, the Windsor monument stands in sharp contrast. Perhaps ten feet high in total, the statue itself is a miniature replica of a common soldier and stands on a short column or pedestal.
Monument, front: WE RESPONDED TO / OUR COUNTRY'S / CALL / "WE FOUGHT AN / HONEST FIGHT. / WE KEPT THE / SOUTHRON'S FAITH. / WE FELL AT THE / POST OF DUTY. / WE DIED FOR THE / LAND WE LOVED." / ERECTED BY / THE CONFEDERATE / VETERANS / ASSOCIATION / OF BERTIE. 1896.
Base, front: OUR CONFEDERATE / DEAD / 1861-1865
Dedication date: 1898
Materials & Techniques: Fairfield granite
Unveiling & Dedication: The monument was unveiled on August 13, 1896, with a reported four thousand people attending. The welcome was given by General William Bate of Tennessee. Several generations of his forebears lived in Bertie County, and a public reception was given on the evening of the dedication to honor him. Two Bertie County survivors of Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg were also on the speaker's stand at the dedication.
Location: The monument sits on the east side of Dundee Street at the intersection with South King Street. It is located across the street from the courthouse.
Landscape: The monument sits in a small brick plaza on the edge of the park at the intersection. A bench sits behind the monument, and the plaza is framed by shade trees.
Subjects: Civil War