|Lake Lure||town in W Rutherford County on the lake of the same name. Est. 1925; inc. 1927. Alt. 1,050. The town has an immense corporate limit situating it on Buffalo Creek, Broad River, and Pool Creek.|
|Lake Mattamuskeet||central Hyde County, a natural lake covering approx. 30,000 acres. Alt. 3 ft. below sea level. Max. depth 5 ft. Discovered 1585 by Richard Grenville's exploring party. Appears as Paquippe on the White map, 1585, for an Indian word meaning shallow (or dry) lake; as Paquike Lake on the Comberford map, 1657; and as Mattamuskeet Lake on the Moseley map, 1733. Present name from an Indian word Mata-mackya-t-wi (it is a moving swamp; quaky bog). As early as 1789 efforts were made to drain the lake for farming purposes, and the most recent efforts at drainage came to an end in 1934. Now a federal wildlife refuge. See also Aramuskeet; Aromuskek Marshes; New Holland.|
|Lake Michael||W Orange County. Formed in 1953 as a municipal water supply for the town of Mebane. Covers 51 acres; max. depth 20 ft. Named for Arthur Michael, engineer for the town of Mebane at the time the lake was formed.|
|Lake Michie (mick-e)||reservoir for the city of Durham. About 4 mi. long on Flat River, NE Durham County.|
|Lake Mirl||E central Wake County on Hodges Creek. Formed in 1940. Covers 5 acres, with a max. depth of 10 ft. Open to the public for recreation.|
|Lake Monroe||central Union County S of Monroe. It is at the junction of Richardson and Little Richardson Creeks. Formed in 1925 and known first as Lake Lee for the owners. Later acquired by city of Monroe as a municipal water source. Covers 144 acres, with a max. depth of 35 ft.|
|Lake Norman||on the Catawba River in Catawba, Iredell, Mecklenburg, and Lincoln Counties. Formed by the dam at Cowan's Ford, completed 1963. Covers 32,510 acres. Shoreline approx. 520 mi. Hydroelectric plant of Duke Power Co. Named for Norman A. Cocke, retired president of the company. Alt. 760. See Duke Power Park.|
|Lake Palcoy||in central Haywood County near Lake Junaluska.|
|Lake Park||community in NW Union County. Inc. 1993.|
|Lake Phelps||natural freshwater lake in E Washington County and W Tyrrell County, the bed of which is thought to have been formed by the impact of a meteor. The lake surface covers 16,600 acres, with a max. depth of 12 ft.; mean alt. 10 ft. Owned by the state of North Carolina and included in Pettigrew State Park, which see. Said to have been named for Josiah Phelps, one of a group of explorers who discovered it in 1775. Known for a while as Scuppernong Lake and appears as such on the Collet map, 1770. Used for fishing, swimming, and boating.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.