|LaGrange||town in NW Lenoir County. Known as Rantersville and Moseley Hall prior to 1869, when it was inc. as LaGrange after Lafayette's estate near Paris. Moseley Hall had been the plantation name given by Thomas Moseley of Virginia, who settled there before the Revolution. William Dunn Moseley (1795-1863), first governor of the state of Florida, was born there. Produces trailers, tobacco trucks, and cotton gins. Alt. 113. See also Moseley County.|
|Lake Adger||in N central Polk County on Green River. Built by Blue Ridge Power Company in 1925 and known as Turners Lake for nearby Turners Shoals. Duke Power Company bought the hydroelectric plant and water rights in 1927 and later renamed the lake, likely for John B. Adger, who was active in power development on Broad River in South Carolina. Covers 438 acres, with a max. depth of 86 ft. Used to generate hydroelectric power.|
|Lake Ashnoca||central Buncombe County on Ragsdale Creek. The property of the Asheville School, it covers 27 acres.|
|Lake Bay||community in SE Moore County on Carrolls Branch. Formerly known as Hog Island.|
|Lake Benson||in S Wake County on Swift Creek. Formed in 1925 and named Rands Mill Pond for owners. Later renamed for B. B. Benson, former Raleigh city councilman. Covers 490 acres and has max. depth of 19 ft. Enlarged in 1951. Used as reservoir and for fishing.|
|Lake Brandt||an artificial lake in central Guilford County on Reedy Fork Creek. Max. depth 25 ft. Covers 400 acres. Formed in 1920 and named for former Greensboro mayor Leon J. Brandt (1874-1920). Municipal water supply for Greensboro and owned by the city.|
|Lake Burlington||central Alamance County on Stony Creek. Formed 1910; enlarged 1961. Source of water for the city of Burlington. Covers 750 acres; 7Â½ mi. long, with a 50 mi. shoreline. Fishing, boating. Known earlier as Stony Creek Lake.|
|Lake Charles||on Grassy Creek, SE Buncombe County.|
|Lake Cheoah||NW Graham and SW Swain Counties. Formed 1928 by Aluminum Company of America in damming Little Tennessee River. Covers 648 acres; max. depth 200 ft. Used for power, swimming, and boating. Alt. 1,276.|
|Lake Chub||See Loch Lily.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.