|Kelsey||community in NW Caldwell and SW Watauga Counties near Boone Fork 3 mi. W of Blowing Rock. Probably named for Samuel T. Kelsey, who operated a nursery nearby in the late nineteenth century. Also known as White's Spring.|
|Kelvin Grove||community in NW Wake County served by post office, 1840-1903.|
|Kelvyn Fork||rises in W Wake County and flows W into Brier Creek.|
|Kemps Mill||community in S Randolph County on Richland Creek.|
|Kems Branch||rises in E Haywood County and flows N into Allens Creek.|
|Kenady's Branch||See Candy Creek.|
|Kenan Ditch||a drain in S Duplin County to carry the waters of Kenan Pocosin into Northeast Cape Fear River.|
|Kenan Pocosin||a large swamp in S Duplin County that is drained by ditches into Northeast Cape Fear River.|
|Kenansville||town and county seat, central Duplin County. Authorized to be laid out 1816; inc. 1852. Alt. 127. Named for Gen. James Kenan (1740-1810), member of Provincial Congress and Revolutionary officer. Site once known as Grovemont. "Goldengrove," plantation of Congressman James Gillespie, was at or near the site of Kenansville before it was laid out. Earlier Duplin Court House was approx. 2½ mi. W of present town of Warsaw on the Duplin-Sampson county line. Site of Confederate arms factory, manufacturer of swords, sabers, and accoutrements.|
|Kenansville Township||central Duplin County.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.