|Kadar||community in S Wake County.|
|Kagle Branch||rises in W central Transylvania County and flows S into Catheys Creek.|
|Kagle Mountain||central Transylvania County between Catheys Creek and Kuykendall Creek. Alt. 3,908.|
|Kaiser Lake||S Transylvania County at the head of Morgan Mill Creek. Covers 2 acres and has a max. depth of 20 ft.|
|Kalamazoo||community in S Madison County.|
|Kalmia||community in SE Mitchell County. A post office operated there, 1937-54.|
|Kanady Creek||See Candy Creek.|
|Kanati Fork||rises in N Swain County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the E slope of Nettle Creek Bald and flows NE into Beech Flats Prong.|
|Kannapolis||city in S Rowan and N Cabarrus Counties. Alt. 765. Until inc. in 1984, it was the seventeenth-largest unincorporated community in the United States and the largest in North Carolina. James William Cannon bought 600 acres there along the Southern Railway tracks in 1905; there he built houses and a mill, which began production in 1908. Cannon Mills, noted for manufacture of towels, was there. Since 2008 the site of North Carolina Research Campus, with focus on nutrition. The name comes from a form of the Cannon family name plus polis, the Greek word for city.|
|Kannapolis Township||former township in NW Cabarrus County, now township no. 4. Once named Cooks Cross Roads Township.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.