|Kerr Creek||rises in W Rowan County and flows NE into Back Creek. Appears in early records as James Cathey's Creek, named about 1749 for an early settler. See also Millbridge.|
|Kerr Lake||was formed in 1952 with the completion of John H. Kerr Dam on Roanoke River in Virginia. Reservoir also fed by Dan River, Nutbush Creek, Island Creek, and many smaller tributaries, it extends into central Vance County, N Granville County, and NW Warren County. Normally it covers 48,900 acres and is 39 mi. long, with a shoreline of 800 mi. Max. depth 99 ft. Used for hydroelectric power generation, flood control, municipal water supply, irrigation, and recreation. Named for Congressman John H. Kerr (1873-1958). Initially known as Buggs Island Lake for an island in Roanoke River below the dam. The section of the reservoir extending into Vance County on Nutbush Creek is sometimes known as Townsville Lake. The official name is John H. Kerr Reservoir.|
|Kershaw||community in S Pamlico County between Greens and Kershaw Creeks.|
|Kershaw Creek||rises in SE Pamlico County and flows SE into Greens Creek.|
|Kesiah River||See Cashie River.|
|Ketchie's Mill||See Kappa.|
|Kettle Rock||SE Macon County between Big Dog Mountain and Chinquapin Mountain.|
|Kevin||community in central Mecklenburg County.|
|Key||community in SE Harnett County served by post office, 1888-1903.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.