|Kanuga Lake||central Henderson County on Little Mud Creek. Formed about 1908. Covers 12 acres; max. depth 20 ft. Summer camp owned by the Episcopal Church. Named for prehistoric Cherokee town Ka-nu-ga, on the West Fork of Pigeon River in Haywood County. The Indian name traditionally meant "Meeting Place of Many Peoples."|
|Kappa||community in W Davie County. In the 1870s known as Ketchie's Mill for a mill erected on Little Creek. Post office est. 1883 in the home of W. R. Ketchie, a Lutheran minister, who gave it the name Kappa, the Greek name for the letter K Davie Academy opened there about 1908, and the name Davie Academy is also sometimes still used for the community.|
|Kapps Mill||community in W Surry County served by post office, 1878-1929.|
|Karrs Branch||rises in SW Iredell County W of Troutman and flows SW into Hicks Creek.|
|Katalsta Ridge||NE Swain County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a spur extending S from Eagle Rock. Named for a daughter of Yonaguska, noted as a pottery maker.|
|Kate Gap||on the Madison County, N.C.-Cocke County, Tenn., line.|
|Kate Knob||S Macon County between Pine Ridge and Jones Creek.|
|Katesville||community in central Franklin County. Settled 1888. Named for Kate Griffin, donor of the site. Alt. 300.|
|Katie Creek||rises in E Macon County and flows W into Walnut Creek.|
|Kawana||community in SE Avery County.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.