Bookmark and Share

Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Average: 1 (1 vote)

North Carolina Military Installations - Civil War

Return to: North Carolina Military Installations, Civil War

Go to: North Carolina Military Installations - Civil War - Camps; North Carolina Military Installations - Civil War - Forts.

Batteries

Name
Location
Description
Battery Anderson About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) One of several Confederate outlying works of the Fort Fisher complex and Cape Fear River defenses. Roughly seven miles north of Fort Fisher. Garrisoned by Company A, Thirteenth Battalion.
Battery Bolles About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) One of several Confederate outlying works of the Fort Fisher complex and Cape Fear River defenses. Garrisoned by Company D, Thirteenth North Carolina Battalion.
Battery Buchanan About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) One of several Confederate outlying works of the Fort Fisher complex and Cape Fear River defenses. Massive two-tiered, oval-shaped earthwork fort located one mile south of Fort Fisher. Named in honor of Adm. Franklin Buchanan.
Battery Gatling About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) One of several Confederate outlying works of the Fort Fisher complex and Cape Fear River defenses. About seven miles north of Fort Fisher. Garrisoned by Company A, Thirteenth North Carolina Battalion.
Half Moon Battery About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) Small Confederate gun emplacement located four miles north of Fort Fisher. Mounted one or two smoothbore field pieces. So named by Union soldiers because of its crescent shape.
Battery Huger West side of Roanoke Island (Dare County) Small Confederate gun emplacement captured in February 1862 by forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside.
Battery Lamb About 17 miles south of Wilmington (Reeve's Point, Brunswick County) Two-gun Confederate emplacement constructed to protect both water and land approaches to the port of Wilmington from the west.
Pond Battery About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) One of several Confederate outlying works of the Fort Fisher complex and Cape Fear River defenses. Located north of Fort Fisher, it housed one or two smoothbore field pieces.
Battery Purdie About 15 miles south of Wilmington (New Hanover County) One of several Confederate outlying works of the Fort Fisher complex and Cape Fear River defenses. Garrisoned by Company D, Thirteenth North Carolina Battalion.
Battery Shaw Oak Island (Brunswick County) One-gun Confederate emplacement that was part of the defenses protecting the entrance to the Cape Fear River known as Old Inlet.
Battery Worth Western edge of Plymouth (Washington County) One of many batteries and redoubts comprising the Federal works at Plymouth. Mounted one 200-pounder gun. Fell to Confederate forces under Brig. Gen. Robert F. Hoke in April 1864.
Zeke's Island Battery South of Wilmington (New Hanover County) Confederate sand emplacement located across New Inlet Channel from Fort Fisher. Garrisoned by Company K, 18th North Carolina Regiment, and mounted two 32-pounder cannons.

Add a comment

PLEASE NOTE: NCpedia will not publish personal contact information in comments, questions, or responses. Complete guidelines are available at http://ncpedia.org/comments.

Copyright notice

This article is from the Encyclopedia of North Carolina edited by William S. Powell. Copyright © 2006 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.

Grey Squirrel - Click me to return to the top of the page