|home of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in Swain, Jackson, and Haywood Counties in Great Smoky Mountains. Est. by the United States after the Cherokee removal of 1838. Covers 63,000 acres and is the largest Indian reservation E of the Mississippi. The reservation is divided into Big Cove Town, Wolf Town, Yellow Hill Town, Paint Town, and Bird Town townships. In addition, a number of Cherokees living off the reservation in Cheoah Township, Graham County, are under tribal jurisdiction. Land is held in common and assigned on a tenant system.
|N Jackson County.
|rises in S Clay County and flows NE into Hiwassee River approx. ¾ mi. N of town of Hayesville. Named for an Indian woman.
|rises in N Halifax County and flows SE into Roanoke River. Appears as Quountka Creek on the Moseley map, 1733; does not appear on the Collet map, 1770, or the Price map, 1808. Appears next on the MacRae map, 1833, with its present name. A Tuscarora Indian name. Indian relics have been found along its lower course.
|rises in N Rockingham County and flows E into Wolf Island Creek.
|community in S Wilkes County.
|rises in N Alamance County and flows SE into Tom's Creek.
|rises in central Northampton County and flows SE into Urahaw Swamp.
|community in S Transylvania County between Blue Ridge and West Fork French Board River. Alt. 2,530.