North Carolina Wesleyan College
North Carolina Wesleyan College, chartered in October 1956 and opened in 1960, is a four-year, coeducational, liberal arts college in Rocky Mount. It was established by citizens of Nash  and Edgecombe  Counties in cooperation with officials of the North Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church ; Bishop Paul Neff Garber  and the Reverend Leon Russell were among its founders. The school was named for Englishmen John and Charles Wesley , considered the founders of modern Methodism.
The main campus in Rocky Mount is on a 200-acre wooded site. In addition to bachelor of arts and bachelor of science curricula, the college offers a master's degree program in business administration in cooperation with Campbell University  of Buies Creek. There are also off-campus facilities in Goldsboro, Raleigh  (at Athens Drive Senior High School ), Research Triangle Park , and New Bern. In 1987 the North Carolina Wesleyan College Press was established with the objective of making writings from regional authors and poets more widely available; it closed in 1995. In the early 2000s Wesleyan enrolled nearly 2,000 students through its programs.
Roger W. Ireson, Handbook of United Methodist-Related Schools, Universities and Theological Schools (1992).
North Carolina Wesleyan College, Catalog (1995).
North Carolina Wesleyan College: http://www.ncwc.edu/ 
"Students greet President Lyndon B. Johnson, North Carolina Wesleyan College, 1964." Image courtesy of North Carolina Digital Heritage Center. Available from http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalnc/6902416106/  (accessed November 9, 2012).
1 January 2006 | Carroll, Grady L. E., Sr.