|Nags Head||town on N Bodie Island facing the Atlantic Ocean, E Dare County. A popular summer resort since the 1830s. Inc. 1923; charter repealed 1949; inc. again in 1961. Numerous legends exist explaining the origin of the name. One of the most popular tells of natives who tied lanterns around the necks of ponies ("nags"), which were driven up and down the beach at night. The motion of the lanterns resembled that of a vessel at anchor and lured ships at sea into the shore, where they were wrecked and easily robbed. The name appears on maps of the area as early as 1738. Nags Head as a place name appears in various parts of England, the Channel Islands, and the West Indies.|
|Nags Head Coast Guard Station||central Bodie Island in E Dare County. Est. in 1874 as a lifesaving station. Lifesaving Service and Revenue Cutter Service joined to form U.S. Coast Guard in 1915. The station was declared surplus and decommissioned after World War II.|
|Nags Head Township||E Dare County. Includes all of Roanoke Island and the town of Nags Head.|
|Nags Head Woods||maritime forest, E Dare County. An ecological preserve that includes 1,400 acres. Protected by Nature Conservancy and designated a U.S. Natural Landmark, 1974.|
|Nahunga Creek||rises in W Duplin County and flows NE into Goshen Swamp.|
|Nahunta||community in NW Wayne County S of Nahunta Creek, from which it takes its name. Called Academy Crossroads as recently as 1915.|
|Nahunta||See Fremont and Torhunta.|
|Nahunta Swamp||rises in E Johnston County and flows E across NE Wayne County and NE into Contentnea Creek in W Greene County. It is mentioned under various spellings as early as 1711 as Norhanty, Norrihunta, and No Honey. Appears on the Collet map, 1770, as Beaverdam Swamp in N Wayne County. It is not shown as such on subsequent maps. The name is either originally or in corrupted form a Tuscarora Indian word, perhaps from Kahunshe Wakena (Black Creek).|
|Nahunta Township||NE Wayne County.|
|Nain||community in SW Forsyth County served by post office, 1890-1904.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.