|Nash Mine||E Cabarrus County 1½ mi. NW of Phoenix Mine Village, which see. Known as Faggart Mine in the mid-nineteenth century, when gold was mined there. Uranium was discovered there in 1954.|
|Nashville||town and county seat, central Nash County. Authorized to be laid out and est., 1815. Named for Gen. Francis Nash (1742-77), Revolutionary War officer killed at Germantown. Produces lumber and apparel. Alt. 180.|
|Nashville Township||central Nash County.|
|Nat Moore||community in SE Bladen County served by post office, 1875-1914.|
|Nathans Creek||rises in E Ashe County and flows E into South Fork New River.|
|Nathans Creek||community in E central Ashe County. Alt. approx. 2,800.|
|Nations Creek||rises in W Jackson County and flows NE into Tuckasegee River.|
|Nattie Branch||rises in S Clay County and flows N into Giesky Creek.|
|Natural Wells||community in SW Duplin County served by post office, 1892-1903. Name for large limestone sinkholes in the area.|
|Nausegoc||a name appearing on the White map, 1590, in Pamlico Sound, E Dare County approx. between the present communities of Rodanthe and Salvo on Hatteras Island. The name is believed to have been an Algonquian Indian word for "take a breathing-spell," hence a resting place for those on a long canoe journey.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.