Bookmark and Share

Reconstruction (1865-1876)
Bingham School
by Anderson, Jean B. The Bingham School was actually a series of classical academies overseen by three generations of the Bingham family over a period of 135 years. The esteem in which these teachers were held was such [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Blossom's Ferry
by Tetterton, Beverly. Blossom's Ferry was located on the Northeast Cape Fear River on the border between New Hanover and Pender Counties, one mile east-northeast of the community of Castle Hayne and approximately nine [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Bragg Committee
by Harris, William C. In 1868-69 North Carolina's Reconstruction government extended $27.83 million in the form of bonds and stocks to 18 railroad companies in the state. Although it was mainly zeal for internal [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Branch Banking and Trust Company
by Orvedahl, Ginny, McGee, Barry. The Branch Banking and Trust Company was established in Wilson in 1872, when Alpheus Branch and Thomas Jefferson Hadley formed Branch and Hadley, a private banking firm. In 1887 Branch bought [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Brogden, Curtis Hooks (from Research Branch, NC OA&H)
by Cross, Jerry L. Curtis Hooks Brogden (1816-1901) was elevated to the Governor’s Office upon the death of Tod R. Caldwell and, over the course of his administration, faced strong opposition from a heavily Democratic [...] (from Research Branch, NC Office of Archives and History.)
Bryan, James Augustus
by Carraway, Gertrude S. Bryan, James Augustus by Gertrude S. Carraway, 1979 13 Sept. 1839–30 Jan. 1923 James Augustus Bryan, soldier, planter, and banker, was born in New Bern to James West Bryan and Ann Mary [...] (from Dictionary of North Carolina Biography, University of North Carolina Press.)
Cabinet of Minerals
by Cross, Jerry L. The cabinet of minerals was a collection of native ores assembled in the antebellum period to illustrate their potential commercial value to the state. The original collection was completed in 1856 [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Caldwell, Tod Robinson (from Research Branch, NC OA&H)
by Cross, Jerry L. Tod Robinson Caldwell (1818-1874), the first lieutenant governor in North Carolina history, succeeded his predecessor William Woods Holden as Chief Executive when the latter was brought to trial on [...] (from Research Branch, NC Office of Archives and History.)
Cape Fear and Deep River Navigation Company
by Watson, Alan D. Cape Fear and Deep River Navigation Company by Alan D. Watson, 2006 The Cape Fear and Deep River Navigation Company aimed to provide improved water access to the naval stores of the [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Cape Fear Club
by Steelman, Bennett L. The Cape Fear Club is a business and professional men's club, founded on 3 Mar. 1866 in Wilmington and incorporated on 8 Feb. 1872. It is generally recognized as the oldest social club of its kind in [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)

Grey Squirrel - Click me to return to the top of the page