Cassidey's Shipyard was the smaller of two Confederate shipyards in Wilmington during the Civil War  and the construction site of the ironclad  CSS Raleigh . The yard was founded when James Cassidey (1792-1866), a ship's carpenter, bought a waterfront lot at the foot of Church Street on the east bank of the Cape Fear River . By the late 1830s he was operating a yard on the site, and by 1846 he was advertising a marine railway. By 1850 the yard was repairing and copper-bottoming sailing ships on the West Indies trade.
Work on the Raleigh, a four-gun steam sloop sometimes classified as a ram, began in mid-1862, about the same time it began on the CSS North Carolina  at Beery's Shipyard  across the river. However, the Raleigh's construction was frequently stalled. Crews fled the yellow fever epidemics  of 1862 and 1863, and workers went on strike when pay was delayed by the Confederate Navy  Department. Finally, by 30 Apr. 1863 the Raleigh was in commission.
After the war, Cassidey's Shipyard merged with Benjamin W. Beery's adjoining works at the foot of Nun Street and was renamed Cassidey & Beery. In 1881 S. W. Skinner took over the facility, and by 1911 the Cape Fear Machine Works had moved onto the site.
William N. Still Jr., Iron Afloat: The Story of the Confederate Armorclads (1985).
Tony P. Wrenn, Wilmington, North Carolina: An Architectural and Historical Portrait (1984).
"Cassidey Shipyard." North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program. http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?sp=search&k=Markers&sv=DDD-3 
Fonvielle, Jr., Chris E. The Wilmington Campaign: Last Departing Rays of Hope. Mechanicsburg, Penn.: Stackpole Books. 2001 p. 15. http://books.google.com/books?id=Fm5qoMMg5agC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false 
Jackson, III, Claude V. "James L. Cassidey & Sons Shipyard (ca 1830 - 1855); Cassidey Brothers & Ross Shipyard (ca 1868 - 1879); Cassidey Brothers Shipyard (1855 - 1880)" Maritime history and survey of the Cape Fear and Northeast Cape Fear rivers, Wilmington Harbor, North Carolina. Volume 1: Maritime history. Kure Beach, N.C.: North Carolina Office of Archives and History, Dept. of Cultural Resources: 1996. p.213-216. http://digital.ncdcr.gov/u?/p249901coll22,397966 
Tuther, T., Jr., compiler. Kelley's Wilmington directory to which is added a business directory for 1860-61. Wilmington, N.C.:
Geo. H. Kelley. 1860. p. 27. http://archive.org/stream/kelleyswilmingto1860kell#page/26/mode/2up 
1 January 2006 | Steelman, Bennett L.