Thomas Ruffin Monument
Description: The monument to Thomas Ruffin rests in an alcove at the entrance to the State Court of Appeals building in Raleigh. The full-body statue is cast in bronze and sits atop a polished white marble base. Ruffin is portrayed in a formal style with sealed legal papers in his left hand, conveying his status and his office; his right hand is tucked in his waistcoat. The statue's designer, Francis H. Packer of New York, studied with the renowned sculptor and teacher Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
Dedication date: 2/1/1915
Creator: Francis H. Packer, Designer, Sculptor
Materials & Techniques: Bronze and marble.
Sponsor: The North Carolina State Bar Association and the Ruffin Family.
Unveiling & Dedication: The monument was dedicated on February 1, 1915 in the Hall of the House of Representatives in Raleigh. An address was delivered by Chief Justice Hon. Walter Clark of the State Supreme court, and the statue was presented by the Hon. J. Crawford Biggs, President of the North Carolina Bar Association. The monument was unveiled by Thomas Ruffin and Peter Browne Ruffin, Justice Ruffin's great-grandchildren. It was originally placed in the State Administration Building where the Supreme Court held its sessions.
Subject notes: Thomas Ruffin sat on the North Carolina State Supreme Court from 1829 to 1852 and again in 1858, serving as the Chief Justice from 1833 to 1852.
Subjects: Historic Civic Figures,Historic Legal Figures