The Regulator Monument
Description: This memorial marks the location where six Regulators were hanged on July 19, 1771 after their defeat at the Battle of Alamance. The monument is a small bronze plaque bearing an inscription and placed atop a small rectangular block of granite.
ON THIS SPOT WERE HANGED / BY ORDER OF A TORY COURT / JUNE 19, 1771 / MERRILL, MESSER, MATTER, PUGH / AND TWO OTHER REGULATORS / PLACED BY / THE DURHAM - ORANGE COMMITTEE / NORTH CAROLINA SOCIETY / COLONIAL DAMES IN AMERICA / APRIL, 1963
Dedication date: April 1963
Materials & Techniques: Bronze, granite
Sponsor: N.C. Society of the Colonial Dames in America
Location: The monument sits on a site shared with the historic Hughes Academy schoolhouse building. The Regulator marker is within a small plot, enclosed by an old gridiron fence. The site can be accessed by walking through the parking lot of the Orange County Board of Education, located at the corner of East King and Cameron Streets in Hillsborough. The school and marker are a short walk up the Cameron Park Trail behind the parking lot.
Landscape: The site is a small grassy clearing. The marker is beneath a number of large old trees on the edge of the clearing and just off the walkway to the entrance of the Hughes Academy schoolhouse.
Subjects: Colonial Wars,Revolutionary War