Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Description: On June 8th, 1891 the Professor Edward Graham Daves of the Maryland Historical Society proposed the erection of a monument to the Maryland soldiers who fought at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse. The monument was planned by the Maryland Historical Society and was dedicated in October of 1892. It stands in the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park with many other monuments. The monument is a rough cube of Maryland granite with two bronze tablets: one bearing the Maryland Coat of Arms and the other an inscription to the Maryland soldiers who fought on the battlefield in Guilford during the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.
MARYLAND'S TRIBUTE TO / HER HEROIC DEAD. / --- / ERECTED BY MEMBERS OF / THE MARYLAND HISTORICAL / SOCIETY / IN MEMORY OF THE SOLDIERS / OF THE MARYLAND LINE. / 1781-1892 / --- / NON OMNIS MORIAR
Dedication date: October 15, 1892
Materials & Techniques: Maryland granite, bronze tablets
Sponsor: Maryland Historical Society
Unveiling & Dedication: B.F. Dixon provided an opening prayer. Professor Edward Graham Daves of Baltimore gave a speech "Maryland and North Carolina in the Campaign of 1780-1781." Professor E. A. Alderman also spoke on behalf of the Guilford Battle Ground Company. The crowd next sang "The Old North State" before marching to the monument where Mrs. Edith Hagen recited a poem by Mrs. E. D. Hundley. Finally the monument was unveiled while the song "Honour the Brave" was played.
Subjects: Revolutionary War
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina