First Confederate Flag Marker and Monument
Description: This granite sculpture stands approximately five feet tall; its base stretches across approximately six feet. The sculpture consists of three columns, a tall middle column ending in a pointed cap flanked by two shorter columns topped by granite bowls. Carved into the wide middle column is a seven-starred confederate flag which appears to blow in the wind. Below the flag sits a brass plaque which is inscribed with the text below.
ERECTED SEPTEMBER 1923 / BY / THE NORTH CAROLINA DIVISION / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / IN APPRECIATION OF THE FACT / THAT THE FIRST FLAG OF THE CONFEDERACY / "THE STARS AND BARS" / WAS DESIGNED BY A SON OF NORTH CAROLINA / ORREN RANDOLPH SMITH / AND MADE UNDER HIS DIRECTION BY / CATHERINE REBECCA (MURPHY) WINBORNE. / FORWARDED TO MONTGOMERY, ALA. FEB 12, 1861, / ADOPTED BY THE PROVISIONAL CONGRESS MARCH 4, 1861, / FIRST DISPLAYED IN NORTH CAROLINA AT LOUISBURG / MARCH 18, 1861
Dedication date: September 1923
Materials & Techniques: Granite monument, brass plaque
Sponsor: North Carolina Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy
Subject notes: The monument memorializes the supposed creator of the first official flag of the CSA (which is distinct from the battle flag), Orren Randell Smith, who was a citizen of North Carolina. It was first flown in the courthouse square of Louisburg, NC, on March 18, 1861.
Location: The monument is located directly in front of the Franklin County Courthouse, facing Main Street. It stands between the United States and North Carolina flags.
Subjects: Civil War