Inside the concrete base of the monument is a copper box containing the names of 1,100 Confederate soldiers in the Civil War from Alamance and the names of contributors to the monument's fund. It also holds a number of confederate relics including Confederate money, papers of that day, several old coins and the names of the members of the Graham Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy.
View of column and statue from side |
Front view of statue |
North and east inscriptions |
South and east inscriptions |
South inscription |
Vintage postcard image |
Vintage postcard image
North face: TO COMMEMORATE WITH GRATEFUL LOVE THE PATRIOTISM, VALOR, AND DEVOTION TO DUTY, OF THE BRAVE SOLDIERS OF ALAMANCE COUNTY, THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF THE GRAHAM CHAPTER, UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / OUR CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS
South face: ON FAME'S ETERNAL CAMPING GROUND, THEIR SILENT TENTS ARE SPREAD, AND GLORY GUARDS, WITH SOLEMN ROUND, THE BIVOUAC OF THE DEAD. /
1861. C. S. A. 1865.
East face: FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH, THEY ARE CROWNED WITH IMMORTAL GLORY.
West face: CONQUERED THEY CAN NEVER BE, WHOSE SPIRITS AND WHOSE SOULS ARE FREE.
11 July 2014 | Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina