|"Unorganized Territory,"||former designation for most of the area formerly in Mattamuskeet Township, central Hyde County. Owned by the federal government and used as a fish and wildlife reservation. Residents vote and list taxes in Lake Landing Township.|
|U-Alta Lake||W Randolph County, is formed by a dam on Caraway Creek. Covers 20-25 acres. Named for Eula Alta Farlow, wife of Arthur Farlow, who developed the lake.|
|Ucohnerunt||a Tuscarora Indian town shown on the Moseley map, 1733, as situated on the mouth of Town Creek in what is now central Edgecombe County. Also called King Blount's Town for the chief under whom the Tuscarora Indians began their removal to the Roanoke River in 1732.|
|Ugly Creek||rises in S Stanly County and flows SE into Hardy Creek.|
|Ugly Fork||rises in W Haywood County near the Swain County line on the N side of Big Fork Ridge and flows E and NE into Rough Fork.|
|Ulah||community in S Randolph County served by post office, 1889-1953. Originally Uhla; probably named for the daughter of M. R. Moffitt, first postmaster.|
|Umbra||community in NE Durham County served by post office, 1891-1903.|
|Umstead Bridge||See Redstone Point; Weir Point.|
|Umstead State Park||See William B. Umstead State Park.|
|Una Creek||rises in SE Swain County and flows W into Yalaka Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.