5 Feb. 1765–28 Oct. 1826
John Hogg, legislator, arrived in Wilmington from Anstruther, Fife, Scotland, about 1797. He, it is assumed, was a cousin of Robert, John, and James Hogg of the mercantile house of Hogg and Campbell—with branches in Wilmington, Cross Creek, Hillsborough, and elsewhere—and a member of that firm. Hogg was elected to the legislature from Hillsborough in 1794 and 1796. In 1809 he contributed $25 to the building fund for the Main or South Building at The University of North Carolina. He died in Fayetteville.
Alice Keith, ed., John Gray Blount Papers, vols. 2, 3 (1952, 1959).
Raleigh News and Observer, 22 June 1941.
Wheeler, John Hill. Historical Sketches of North Carolina from 1584-1851. Philadelphia, Penn.: Lippincott, Grambo and Company. 1851. 337. http://books.google.com/books?id=I6EbAQAAMAAJ&dq=%22john%20hogg%22%20UNC&pg=PA337#v=onepage&q=%22john%20hogg%22%20UNC&f=false (accessed January 9, 2013).
1 January 1988 | Robertson, Henry A., Jr.