Odd Fellows Home and School
The Odd Fellows Home and School for the Orphaned Children of North Carolina was built on East Ash Street at the corner of Herman Street in Goldsboro by the Grand Lodge of the North Carolina Odd Fellows. It was located on a 20-acre tract of land donated in 1891 by W. A. Peacock, a member of the local Odd Fellows lodge, and his wife, Hattie. The first child was admitted to the home on 9 May 1892. The home provided for 960 children before closing in 1971. The property was sold to the city of Goldsboro in the late 1970s and became part of a city park. The Wayne County Public Library was built on a portion of the land.
Odd Fellows Home NC Historical Marker F-53: https://www.ncdcr.gov/about/history/division-historical-resources/nc-highway-historical-marker-program/Markers.aspx?MarkerId=F-53
Thomas, Preston. 1972. History, Odd Fellows Home, Goldsboro, N.C., 1892-1970.
Postcard of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Orphan Home in Goldsboro, N.C. "Publ. for C.F. Griffin, Goldsboro, by the Albertype Co., Brooklyn, N.Y." c1900-1920. Image courtesy of ECU Libraries. Available from http://digital.lib.ecu.edu/243#details (accessed June 13, 2012).
1 January 2006 | Powell, Ted