Bookmark and Share

Antebellum (1820-1861)
Bell, William
by Webb, Mena F. William Bell, architect and builder of the U.S. Arsenal at Fayetteville, was born in Aberdour, Fifeshire, Scotland. The names of his parents and details of his early life are unknown; but he married [...] (from Dictionary of North Carolina Biography, University of North Carolina Press.)
Bingham School
by Anderson, Jean B. The Bingham School was actually a series of classical academies overseen by three generations of the Bingham family over a period of 135 years. The esteem in which these teachers were held was such [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Blandwood
by Stoesen, Alexander R. Blandwood was the Greensboro home of North Carolina governor John Motley Morehead (1841-45). The original structure consisted of a wooden dwelling that was constructed in approximately 1825. In 1844 [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Blossom's Ferry
by Tetterton, Beverly. Blossom's Ferry was located on the Northeast Cape Fear River on the border between New Hanover and Pender Counties, one mile east-northeast of the community of Castle Hayne and approximately nine [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Blue Lodges
by McGee, Barry. Blue Lodges were secret groups organized to defend slavery and the "southern way of life" in response to the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. The new law, sponsored by Senator Stephen A. Douglas of [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Bonnie Blue Flag
by Powell, William S. The Bonnie Blue Flag, a rectangular blue field with a single five-pointed star in the center, is the familiar name of a flag that dates from 16 Sept. 1810, when it was used by the short-lived [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Borough Towns
by Norris, David A. Borough towns were towns that were entitled to send a member to the legislature of North Carolina. These towns sent representatives to the colonial Assembly, the five Provincial Congresses, the [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Buncombe Turnpike
by Hill, Michael. The Buncombe Turnpike, a 75-mile route through North Carolina from the South Carolina border to the Tennessee border constructed between 1824 and 1828, opened the western part of the state to [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Burwell School
by Ireland, Robert E. Burwell School in Hillsborough was established in 1837 by the Reverend Robert Amistead Burwell and his wife, Margaret Anna Burwell. The Burwells opened the Presbyterian school for young females [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)
Cabinet of Minerals
by Cross, Jerry L. The cabinet of minerals was a collection of native ores assembled in the antebellum period to illustrate their potential commercial value to the state. The original collection was completed in 1856 [...] (from Encyclopedia of North Carolina, University of North Carolina Press.)

Grey Squirrel - Click me to return to the top of the page