LAND AREA: 531.57 square miles
Black/African American: 13,090
American Indian: 165
Pacific Islander: 4
Two or more races: 337
Hispanic/Latino: 812 (of any race)
From the 2010 Census, US Census Bureau.
Biographies  for
Anson County 
Piedmont region 
Anson County, located on the eastern edge of North Carolina's Piedmont  region, along the South Carolina border, was formed in 1750 with the division of Bladen County . The county takes its name from George Lord Anson (1697-1762), then First Lord of the British Admiralty. For a time, Anson County was one of the largest territories in the colony, with borders that theoretically extended westward as far as the Mississippi River. Later, portions of Anson County became Mecklenburg , Montgomery , Richmond , and Union  Counties. Its county seat, Wadesboro , was established in 1783 and was known as New Town until 1787, when it was renamed for Revolutionary War soldier and North Carolina legislator Col. Thomas Wade. Other communities in the county include Ansonville, Cedar Hill, Lilesville , McFarlan, Morven, Peachland , Polkton , Pee Dee, and White Store.
Anson County was home to a considerable population of Catawba  and Cheraw  Indians, whose settlements along the Pee Dee River offered important trading outposts for British and Scotch-Irish immigrants who came to the region. Today, the Pee Dee River region in the county's northeast is home to the 8,443-acre Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge , one of ten such refuges in the state.
Anson County remained largely rural throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Leonidas L. Polk , North Carolina's first commissioner of agriculture and president of the National Farmers' Alliance, was born in the county and founded the town of Polkton in 1875. As in other Piedmont counties, textile production became an increasingly important part of the local economy in the nineteenth century. Anson County was the site of the nation's first soil conservation  district, Brown Creek , established in 1937.
In the middle and late twentieth century, growth in nearby Charlotte  and surrounding areas led to some increased growth in Anson County. By the early twenty-first century it remained largely rural and small in overall population, but a growing number of residents were moving to the county for its quiet lifestyle within a relatively short distance of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg metropolitan area. Anson County's population was estimated to be 25,700 in 2004.
Mary L. Medley, History of Anson County, North Carolina, 1750-1976 (1976).
Anson County Government: http://www.co.anson.nc.us/ 
Anson County Chamber of Commerce: http://www.ansoncounty.org/ 
DigitalNC, Anson County: http://digitalnc.org/counties/anson-county 
User submitted images, Flickr. (How you may contribute ).
Rudersdorf, Amy. 2010. "NC County Maps." Government & Heritage Library, State Library of North Carolina.
1 January 2006 | Bangma, Peter