Rutherford College , a forerunner of Brevard College , was established in 1853 by the Reverend Robert Laban Abernethy  as a private school known as Owl Hollow Schoolhouse in Burke County . It was built on 600 acres of forestland given by John Rutherford. In 1858 the school was chartered as Rutherford Seminary; Brantley York served as a professor on its faculty in later years. In 1900 the school came under control of the Methodist Church . It was a coeducational institution, and one-fourth of the students were admitted tuition-free. Reportedly, more than 4,000 students matriculated at Rutherford College throughout its existence. In the early 1930s, Rutherford College and Weaver College  merged with Brevard Institute  at Brevard to become Brevard College .
George W. Bumgarner and James Elwood Carroll, The Flowering of Methodism in Western North Carolina (1984).
Elmer T. Clark, Methodism in Western North Carolina (1966).
Rutherford College, NC Highway Historical Marker N-29: http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?ct=ddl&sp=search&k=Markers&sv=N-29%20-%20RUTHERFORD%20COLLEGE 
Act to prevent sale of alochol near Rutherford Seminary: http://digital.ncdcr.gov/u?/p249901coll22,172984 
Weaver College, NC Highway Historical Marker P-74: http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?ct=ddl&sp=search&k=Markers&sv=P-74%20-%20WEAVER%20COLLEGE 
Laws and resolutions of the State of North Carolina, passed by the General Assembly at its session : http://digital.ncdcr.gov/u?/p249901coll22,197851 
Robert Laban Abernethy. Image courtesy of NC Office of Archives & History. Available from http://www.ncmarkers.com/Markers.aspx?ct=ddl&sp=search&k=Markers&sv=N-29%20-%20RUTHERFORD%20COLLEGE  (accessed November 11, 2012).
1 January 2006 | Carroll, Grady L. E., Sr.