High Point Female College
See Also: North Carolina Women's Colleges 
High Point Female College operated under a charter from the North Carolina legislature as a joint-stock enterprise from March 1889, when it relocated to High Point  from Thomasville at mid-term, until June 1893, when it closed and was replaced in the building by the High Point Institute and Business College. The college occupied a three-story brick building at the junction of Broad and College Streets, later Hayden Place, one block west of Main Street. The faculty of High Point Female College, who numbered about a dozen, provided a limited variety of mostly preparatory courses to boys and girls under the supervision of J. N. Stallings, whose wife and three daughters comprised one-third of his teaching staff. According to the catalog, enrollment in March 1889 totaled 20, though other sources claim this increased to at least 40.
Michael G. Pierce, History of the High Point Public Schools, 1897-1993 (1993).
1 January 2006 | McCaslin, Richard B.