Wilson Caldwell Monument
UNC (Chapel Hill)
Description: This sandstone obelisk, completed in 1837, was the first monument built for UNC president Joseph Caldwell. In 1904, when the current monument in McCorkle Place was erected, the Class of 1891 placed this monument on Wilson Caldwell's grave in the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery and rededicated it to three other slaves who worked for the University with a marble stone placed at its base. It stands in the section reserved for African Americans in honor of Wilson Caldwell (whom university president David Swain owned), his father November Caldwell (whom Joseph Caldwell owned), and two other men, all longtime servants of the university. It was rededicated in 1904.
MEMBERS OF THE CLASS OF 1891 PLACE THIS STONE / TO THE MEMORY OF / WILSON SWAIN CALDWELL / (WHO LIES HERE) / NOVEMBER CALDWELL / DAVID BARHAM AND / HENRY SMITH / WHO SERVED THE UNIVERSITY FAITHFULLY
Dedication date: 1837
Creator: Thomas A. Waitt, Designer, Builder
Materials & Techniques: Sandstone, marble
Sponsor: The Class of 1891 was responsible for moving the monument to its current location and dedicating it to Wilson Caldwell, November Caldwell, David Barham, and Henry Smith.
Location: The statue is located in the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery.
Former Locations: Where the current Joseph Caldwell monument stands.
City: Chapel Hill
Subjects: Educational Institutions,Historic African American Figures