Bookmark and Share

Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Rating: 
No votes yet


Arsenal Monument, Fayetteville. Photo courtesy markeroni.com

Arsenal Monument
Fayetteville
View complete article and references at Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina at: http://docsouth.unc.edu/commland/monument/240

Description: A bronze tablet sits upon a roughly-cut stone. The tablet is in relief and in neo-classical style; a pediment with decorated tympanum sits above an eagle with its wings spread across the tablet. Below is the text flanked by two ionic columns.
A bronze plaque dedicated to the FILI (Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry) Bicentennial celebration is added at base of the monument.

Images:
Bronze plaque |
Plaque at base of the monument


Nickname: Also known as the Arsenal Marker.

Inscription:
Bronze plaque: ARSENAL / THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF AN IMPORTANT / ARSENAL OF THE CONFEDERATE GOVERNMENT. / AUTHORIZED BY THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS, / 1836, CAPTURED BY NORTH CAROLINA, APRIL / 22, 1861. / TRANSFERRED TO THE CONFEDERATE / GOVERNMENT, JUNE 5, 1861, AND DESTROYED / BY MAJOR-GENERAL W. T. SHERMAN, / MARCH 11-14, 1865. / ERECTED 1928 BY / THE NORTH CAROLINA HISTORICAL COMMISSION / AND THE J.E.B. STUART CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY


FILI Bicentennial plaque: Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry /
and the North Carolina Arsenal /
The Laying of the Cornerstone
19 April 1838 / Antebellum Guard Duty / Seized and Occupied for the Confederate Government /
22 April - 6 May 1861 / Unveiling of Arsenal Marker
/ 22 May 1928 /
FILI Bicentennial 1793-1993


Dedication date: 5/22/1928

Materials & Techniques: Bronze, Granite

Sponsor: The North Carolina Historical Commission and the United Daughters of the Confederacy, J.E.B. Stuart Chapter.

Post dedication use: The park in which the monument stands is used for educational events led by the Museum of the Cape Fear.

Subject notes: This monument commemorates the arsenal built at this location in 1838 and destroyed in 1865 during the Civil War. Confederate troops took control of the arsenal after it was vacated by Union forces in 1861. The Union later planned to regain control of the arsenal; Sherman took possession of it in 1865 and ordered it to be destroyed.

Landscape: The monument is located in the four acre Arsenal Park. It is next to the Museum of the Cape Fear. Though little remains of the Arsenal, one partial frame outbuilding still stands on the site.

City: Fayetteville

County: Cumberland

Subjects: Civil War

Latitude: 
35.05445
Longitude: 
-78.8924
Subjects: 
Origin - location: 

Add a comment

PLEASE NOTE: NCpedia will not publish personal contact information in comments, questions, or responses. Complete guidelines are available at http://ncpedia.org/comments.

Grey Squirrel - Click me to return to the top of the page