|Yonah-wayah||See Hanging Rock.|
|Yorick||community in central Bladen County served by post office, 1902-20.|
|York||former community in NW Warren County. A post office was est. there in 1902 but discontinued in 1905.|
|York Collegiate Institute||community in N Alexander County served by post office, 1855-1908.|
|York County||On December 7, 1771, in the General Assembly, a bill for dividing the W part of Rowan County and erecting York County and St. James Parish was read for the second time and passed. Rejected on December 10 by the Council. Iredell County, which see, was created from W Rowan County in 1788. St. James Episcopal Church, in the S part of Iredell County, was est. about 1800.|
|York Creek||rises in SW Carteret County and flows W into White Oak River.|
|York Institute||See York Collegiate Institute.|
|Yorkville||community in NW Bladen County served by post office, 1869-89.|
|Yost||community in S Rowan County served by post office, 1888-1906.|
|Younce Creek||rises in N Macon County and flows SE into Burningtown Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.