|Vashti||community in NE Alexander County. Known as Cedar Run in the 1880s, when Cedar Academy operated there. Alt. approx. 1,240.|
|Vass||town in E Moore County. Known as Winder, for an official of the Raleigh and Augusta Air Line Railroad, prior to 1907, when it was inc. with its present name. Named for William Worrell Vass (1820-96), treasurer of the Raleigh and Gaston Railroad, 1845-90. Alt. 320.|
|Vaughan||town in E central Warren County. Alt. 353. Founded in 1851 as Brown's Siding or Brown's Turnout by Dr. Ridley Browne. Name changed to Vaughn in 1881 in honor of John F. Vaughn, local merchant and first postmaster. Inc. 1893.|
|Vaughan Creek||rises in South Carolina and flows N into Polk County, where it enters Lake Lanier.|
|Vaughan Hill||an elevation on the Fort Bragg Military Reservation, NW Cumberland County.|
|Vaughan's Springs||SE Surry County, mineral springs resort developed by the Gid Y. Vaughan family in the early twentieth century; in recent years, the site of Camp Wilson, a private summer camp for boys.|
|Vaught Gap||W Watauga County in Stone Mountains near the head of Beaverdam Creek.|
|Veecaune Creek||See Wiccacon River.|
|Vein Mountain||community in S McDowell County. Named for the fact that it lies in a former gold-mining area.|
|Velna||community in SE Randolph County served by post office, 1888-1916.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.