|Valle Crucis||community in central Watauga County near the junction of Dutch Creek and Watauga River. Est. in 1842 as an Episcopal mission. The name, Latin for "Valley of the Cross," was adopted because of the shape of the Watauga River valley there. The valley has an area of approx. 600 acres. Alt. 3,000.|
|Valley||community on Roaring Creek in W Avery County. Also called Roaring Creek.|
|Valley Creek||rises in SW Watauga County and flows E in an arc into Watauga River.|
|Valley River||rises in NE Cherokee County and flows SW into Hiwassee River at Murphy.|
|Valley River Mountains||extend along the Cherokee-Clay county line to Macon County.|
|Valley Springs||community in S Buncombe County.|
|Valley Squirrel Gap||NE Cherokee County between Andrews and Rhodo.|
|Valley Town||community in NE Cherokee County on the outskirts of Andrews, which see. A post office operated there, 1846-91.|
|Valley Town Township||sNE Cherokee County.|
|Valmead||community in central Caldwell County. A large part of the community was annexed to the city of Lenoir prior to 1960. Named for its location in a valley meadow. Alt. 1,131.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.