|Salem Chapel Township||NE Forsyth County.|
|Salem Church||community in SW Randolph County served by post office, 1840-1918.|
|Salem Creek||rises in E Forsyth County and flows SW through the city of Winston-Salem into Muddy Creek in the SW corner of the county. Appears as Wack Creek on the Collet map, 1770; as "Middle Watch Creek" on the Price map, 1808; and finally as Middle Fork on the MacRae map, 1833. Known as Middle Fork or Middle Fork Muddy Creek until 1966, when the present name was adopted. Wack and Watch undoubtedly are derived from the name Wachovia, which see.|
|Salem Creek||See Niggerhead Creek.|
|Salem Lake||NE Forsyth County, is fed by Lowery Mill Creek, Kerners Mill Creek, and other streams. Formed 1942. Covers 400 acres, with a max. depth of 35 ft. Source of water for Winston-Salem.|
|Salem Township||E central Granville County.|
|Salem Township||S Pasquotank County.|
|Salemburg||town in W Sampson County. Settled about 1870. Inc. 1905 and took its name from Salem Academy, est. there by Rev. Isham Royal in 1874. The academy developed into Pineland College and Edwards Military Institute, which merged in 1965 to form Southwood College; it closed in 1973.|
|Sales Branch||rises in central Cherokee County and flows NW into Valley River.|
|Sales Ford||community in central Cherokee County on Valley River.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.