|Sains||community in W Lincoln County served by post office, 1886-1905.|
|Sal Patch Gap||W Haywood County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park near lat. 35°38'24" N., long. 83°03'28" W.|
|Sal's Creek||rises in central Wake County and flows NE into Crabtree Creek.|
|Saldeer Gap||N Macon County between Burningtown Creek and Rose Creek.|
|Salem||community in SE Burke County.|
|Salem||formerly an independent city in central Forsyth County; inc. 1856, but since 1913 consolidated with Winston as Winston-Salem, which see. Salem was laid out and settled in 1766 by Moravians; its name, meaning "peace," is said to have been selected by Count Nikolaus Zinzendorf, patron and leader of the Moravian Church, prior to his death in 1760. Records of the Moravians from 1752 to 1876 have been published in 10 volumes. Old Salem has been largely restored as a living history museum, with shops, homes, a tavern (where George Washington was entertained in 1791), and other buildings open to the public.|
|Salem||community in S Lincoln County.|
|Salem||community in N Randolph County. Authorized to be laid off as New Salem, 1818; inc. 1831, but long inactive in municipal affairs. Came to be known as Salem after 1882. Long the site of a popular camp meeting in the summer.|
|Salem||community in N Surry County between Lovills Creek and Ararat River.|
|Salem Chapel||See Dennis.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.