|Russells Creek||rises in central Carteret County and flows S into Newport River.|
|Russellville||community in central Anson County served by post office for six months in 1901.|
|Russtown||community in SW Brunswick County.|
|Ruth||community in N Forsyth County served by post office, 1885-1903.|
|Ruth||town in W central Rutherford County. Inc. 1893 as Hampton. Named for S. D. Hampton, first mayor. Name changed to Ruth (first part of the county name) in 1906.|
|Rutherford College||former town and college in E Burke County. The school was founded by R. L. Abernathy in 1853, and the 400-acre site was inc. as village of Excelsior in 1872; inc. as town of Rutherford College in 1881. Alt. 1,210. The school merged with Weaver College in 1932 and was moved to Brevard, which see, and renamed Brevard College. Town charter repealed in 1933. Now a residential community approx. 2 mi. E of town of Valdese. Named for John Rutherford, who donated the land for the school in 1853. Original post office, 1857-86, was named Happy Home; it also served Connelly Springs, which see.|
|Rutherford County||was formed in 1779 from Tryon County when it was divided to form Rutherford and Lincoln Counties. Located in the SW section of the state, it is bounded by the state of South Carolina and by Polk, Henderson, Buncombe, McDowell, Burke, and Cleveland Counties. It was named for Griffith Rutherford (1731-1800), leader of 1776 expedition against the Cherokee, member of the Provincial Congress, and Revolutionary War general. Area: 568 sq. mi. County seat: Rutherfordton, with an elevation of 1,096 ft. Townships are Camp Creek, Chimney Rock, Colfax, Cool Spring, Duncans Creek, Gilkey, Golden Valley, Green Hill, High Shoals, Logan Store, Morgan, Rutherfordton, Sulphur Springs, and Union. Produces corn, wheat, oats, cotton, hay, soybeans, boats, dairy products, livestock, hogs, textiles, apparel, lumber, sand, and gravel.|
|Rutherfords Mill||See Exeter.|
|Rutherfordton||town and county seat, W central Rutherford County. Served by post office since 1798. Est. 1787. Alt. 1,096. Town and county named for Gen. Griffith Rutherford (1731-1800), Revolutionary War leader. See also Gilbert Town; Mountain Creek.|
|Rutherfordton Township||central Rutherford County.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.