|Rube Rock Branch||rises in N Haywood County and flows SW into Pigeon River.|
|Rubicon||community in central Moore County served by post office, 1890-1907.|
|Rubyatt||community in SW Montgomery County served by post office, 1912-14. Named for H. O. Ruby, early settler of area.|
|Rudd||community in N Guilford County served by post office, 1902-1907. Alt. 826. Est. 1898 as Sippanaw; later named Morehead. Because of a delay in shipment of merchandise consigned to Morehead City, railroad officials renamed the community to avoid confusion and to honor Senaca and Cicero Rudd, local residents.|
|Rudisill||community in S Catawba County served by post office, 1894-1903.|
|Rufe||former town in W Greene County near the head of Fort Run. Inc. 1887 and name changed from Shine. Shine family prominent in the vicinity as early as 1750. A public school near the site operated as Shine School.|
|Ruffin||community in E Rockingham County. Settled prior to 1860 and known first as Stubblefield for a local family. Name changed to honor Thomas Ruffin (1787-1870), chief justice of the N.C. Supreme Court. Inc. 1887; new charter issued 1891; charter repealed 1897. Alt. 712.|
|Ruffin Township||NE Rockingham County.|
|Ruffin's Bridge||See Peacock's Bridge.|
|Rufus||community in NW Caldwell County on Mulberry Creek in Pisgah National Forest. Formerly known as Risden; the present name honors W. Rufus Coffey, a nineteenth-century merchant there.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.