|Quail Roost||community in N Durham County. Named for a former hunting club there acquired in 1925 by George Watts Hill of Durham, who turned it into a dairy farm. In 1963 the farm was given to the state of North Carolina by Hill. The large house is used as a conference center by the University of North Carolina; North Carolina State University makes use of the surrounding land, designated as Hill Forest.|
|Quaker||community in S Stokes County served by post office, 1876-1903. Also known as Quaker Gap.|
|Quaker Creek||rises in NE Alamance County and flows S into Quaker Scrub Creek.|
|Quaker Gap||See Quaker.|
|Quaker Gap Township||W central Stokes County.|
|Quaker Meadows||a grassy region in W central Burke County 1 mi. NW of Morganton, lying between Canoe and Upper Creeks. Settled as early as 1752; appears on the Collet map, 1770. A frontier rendezvous, it was the home of Joseph and Charles McDowell, officers at the Battle of Kings Mountain (1780) and later public leaders. Zebulon B. Vance and his first wife, Harriet Espy, were married there.|
|Quaker Meadows Township||central Burke County.|
|Quaker Neck||W central Wayne County, is formed by a crook in Neuse River. Location of a Quaker settlement prior to 1758. See also Goldsboro Cooling Pond.|
|Quaker Scrub Creek||rises in NE Alamance County and flows S into Back Creek.|
|Qualla||community in NW Jackson County on Shoal Creek. The name is from the Cherokee word kwalli (old woman), because an old Cherokee woman, Polly, lived there. Also called Quallatown. Alt. 2,250.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.