|Hyatt Ridge||NE Swain County in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a spur extending SE from Dashoga Ridge with its center near lat. 35°39'35" N., long. 83°13'58" W. See also McGee Spring.|
|Hyco Lake||See Carolina Power Lake.|
|Hyco River||is formed in NW Person County by the junction of North Hyco and South Hyco Creeks. It flows NE into Virginia, where it enters Dan River. In 1728 William Byrd referred to the stream as "Hicootomony, or Turkey-Buzzard River, from the great number of those unsavoury Birds that roost on the tall Trees growing near its banks." Appears on the Moseley map, 1733, as Hyco-ote. Hyco Dam, completed in 1964, now impounds its waters to form Carolina Power Lake.|
|Hyco-ote||See Hyco River.|
|Hycotee||community in E central Caswell County. A post office was operated there during the approx. period 1880-1905.|
|Hyde County||was formed in 1705 as Wickham Precinct, which see, of Bath County. The name was changed to Hyde about 1712. Located in the E section of the state, it is bounded by Pamlico Sound; Beaufort, Washington, Tyrrell, and Dare Counties; and (on the Outer Banks) the Atlantic Ocean and Dare and Carteret Counties. Named for Governor Edward Hyde, who died in 1712. Area: 1,364 sq. mi. (634, land; 730, water). County seat: Swan Quarter, with an elevation of 10 ft. Townships are Currituck, Fairfield, Lake Landing, Mattamuskeet, Ocracoke, and Swan Quarter. Produces soybeans, corn, wheat, cotton, snap beans, seafood, hogs, livestock, dairy products, lumber, and wooden boxes. See also Woodstock Point; Aramuskeet.|
|Hyde Islands||formerly two islands with a total of 10 acres in Little Tennessee River in NE Graham County. Now under the waters of Fontana Lake.|
|Hyde Mill Creek||rises in S Graham County and flows NE into Tulula Creek.|
|Hyde Parish||Church of England, Hyde County, est. 1715, coextensive with the county. By 1767 the parish was being called St. George's and in that year had 441 white taxables.|
|Hydeland||community in S Hyde County S of Lake Mattamuskeet near the head of Juniper Bay.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.