|Garrenton's Island||See Garlington's Island.|
|Garrett Creek||rises in central Haywood County and flows NW into Jonathans Creek. Named for W. G. B. Garrett (ca. 1845-1925), who owned land and had a ranger's cabin there.|
|Garretts Gap||W Haywood County, Great Smoky Mountains National Park near lat. 35°32'55" N., long. 83°08'25" W. on Cataloochee Divide.|
|Garringer Branch||rises in SE Cherokee County and flows SE into Little Brasstown Creek.|
|Garrison Branch||rises in W Macon County and flows SW into Nantahala Lake.|
|Garrison Point||point of land on the S side of Pamlico River, central Beaufort County near the mouth of Durham Creek. A fort or garrison was erected there in 1711 during the Tuscarora War. See also Durham Creek.|
|Garysburg||town in W Northampton County. Inc. 1891. Known as Garys in 1833 but changed to Garysburg after the post office there received the name in 1838. Alt. 145. Peebles Tavern and Blakely's Depot were nearby communities in the early nineteenth century, but they were supplanted by Garysburg. Strategically important during Civil War as convergence of two railroads. Site of Camp Beauregard, which see.|
|Gash Creek||rises in E Transylvania County and flows SE into French Broad River.|
|Gashes Creek||rises in central Buncombe County and flows NW into Swannanoa River.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.