|Gardnerville||community in S Pitt County.|
|Garfield||community in SE Rowan County served by post office, 1880-1913.|
|Gargales Creek||See Muddy Creek.|
|Garland||town in SW Sampson County. Settled about 1888; inc. 1907. Named for Augustus Hill Garland (1832-99), attorney general of the United States, 1885-89. Known earlier as Sloan's Crossing. Alt. 137.|
|Garland Creek||rises in SW Cherokee County and flows SE into Rapier Mill Creek.|
|Garland Gap||central Mitchell County on Pumpkin Patch Mountain.|
|Garlington's Island||a spur of high land containing approx. 250 acres extending from the center of Camden County through North River Pocosin to a point on Crooked Creek 2 mi. from North River. Named because it was the site of the home of Capt. James S. Garlington, commander of two companies raised for service in the War of 1812. Also known as Garrenton's Island.|
|Garner||town in S Wake County. Settled about 1800. Inc. 1883 as Garner's Station, named for founder, H. C. Garner. Charter repealed 1891; reincorporated in 1905 as Garner.|
|Garner Branch||rises in E Davidson County a short distance N of Denton and flows S into Yadkin River.|
|Garner Cove||S Haywood County on the head of Raccoon Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.