|Dana||community in E Henderson County. A post office was est. there in 1892 expressly to serve the Hadley Hotel; named for Dana Hadley, son of the owner of the hotel. Apple growing and packing center.|
|Danamora||community in N Guilford County served by post office, 1892-1903.|
|Danbury||town and county seat, central Stokes County on the Dan River. Replaced Germantown as the county seat in 1849 when the county was divided to form Forsyth County. Inc. 1957. Called simply "county town of Stokes" from about 1849 until 1851, when it was given the name Crawford in honor of the wife of John Hill, longtime clerk of court and member of Congress. Changed to Danbury in 1852 for name of plantation of Gov. Alexander Martin (1738-1807) near the mouth of Jacobs Creek on the Dan River in Rockingham County. Martin was governor when Stokes County was created. Alt. 825. See also Intelligence.|
|Danbury Creek||rises in SW Stokes County and flows W into Little Yadkin River.|
|Danbury Township||central Stokes County.|
|Dandy||community in NW Ashe County. Alt. 3,455.|
|Danes Creek||rises in N Macon County and flows SE into Younce Creek.|
|Daniel Boone Wildlife Management Area||part of Pisgah National Forest in NW Burke County.|
|Daniel Boone's Cave||See Boone's Cave.|
|Daniel Ridge||in NW Transylvania County between Shuck Ridge Creek and Daniel Ridge Creek.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.