|Davis Township||on Core Sound in E Carteret County.|
|Davis White Sulphur Springs||former resort in E Alexander County. Flourished from about 1883 until early twentieth century. Known also as Sulphur Springs. Davis family operated gristmill there before and after the site was popular as a summer resort.|
|Davisâ€™ Store||See Dardens.|
|Davistown||former community in S Edgecombe County. Now only a railroad crossing.|
|Dawson||community in N Lenoir County. Named for a local family. Formerly a depot on the Hines Lumber Company railroad from Kinston to Snow Hill. Once a center for shipping logs and cotton. A school was operated in the vicinity as early as 1793. The Industrial Christian College was operated there from 1906 until about 1921.|
|Dawson||community in S Halifax County. A post office as early as 1830.|
|Dawson Creek||rises in S Pamlico County and flows SE into Neuse River. Appears on the Moseley map, 1733. Named for Richard Dawson, who purchased land there in 1706. Prior to 1706 the creek was known as Cuccoowink Creek. See also Janeiro.|
|Dawson's Landing||community in NW Bladen County served by post office, 1873-1903. Formerly Harrison Creek.|
|Day Book||community in NE Yancey County on Jacks Creek. Alt. 2,350. Post office est. about 1815 and named for a book in which names were recorded of settlers moving west. Another version of the traditional origin of the name is that it came from a time book kept for employees of a local lumber company.|
|Day's Gap||See Hugh Day's Gap.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.