|Davidson River||community in central Transylvania County. See Pisgah Forest.|
|Davidson River||rises in W Transylvania County and flows SE into French Broad River.|
|Davidson Township||SW Iredell County. Named for a local family.|
|Davidson's Fort||See Old Fort.|
|Davidsonville||community in S Cherokee County on Moccasin Creek.|
|Davie||community in central Henderson County. Alt. 2,214.|
|Davie Academy||See Kappa.|
|Davie Branch||rises in NW Henderson County and flows NE into North Fork.|
|Davie County||was formed in 1836 from Rowan County. Located in the central section of the state, it is bounded by Davidson, Rowan, Iredell, Yadkin, and Forsyth Counties. It was named for William Richardson Davie (1756-1820), Revolutionary War soldier, member of the Federal Convention of 1787, governor of North Carolina, minister to France, and one of the founders of the University of North Carolina. Area: 264 sq. mi. County seat: Mocksville, with an elevation of 866 ft. Townships are Calahaln, Clarksville, Farmington, Fulton, Jerusalem, Mocksville, and Shady Grove. Produces corn, wheat, barley, oats, dairy products, livestock, hogs, apparel, furniture, chemicals, garage doors, and textiles.|
|Davie Crossroads||community in S Davie County at the crossing of U.S. Highway 601 and N.C. Highway 801. Est. 1911-15 when a garage and store opened there. Locally now called Greasy Corner for lube work performed by mechanics at the junction. Alt. approx. 740.|
This content is from the North Carolina Gazetteer, edited by William S. Powell and Michael Hill. Copyright © 2010 by the University of North Carolina Press. Used by permission of the publisher. For personal use and not for further distribution. Please submit permission requests for other use directly to the publisher.
Have a comment about the North Carolina Gazetteer? Tell us! Send NCpedia staff a message.